Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Call Me Old Fashioned: The Benefit of Paper Products (and no—I’m not talking about plate ware)

With the rise of apple watches, iPads, Fitbit, and more, it seems like every new thing that comes out these days is some sort of techy’s toy.  While I enjoy these things, I also find a large amount of fulfillment in office products.  It seems that any sort of work to be done, is all on the computer.  While this makes sense, it is really necessary for me, as an administrator, to keep all of my notes and calendars on my hard drive?  Any other professional ladies out there feeling the weight of this struggle?

Let’s be honest—the majority of the heartbreak over the lack of use of office products for me is because of their cuteness.  They brighten up my desk, they are fun to buy, they are pretty, the list goes on and one.  As I have been thinking (and fighting) through this, however, I have realized that there are benefits to calendars, agendas, and notes being physical besides just looking nice.  I’m sharing my thoughts below with you!

1.      They are constantly in front of your face. When I write important information on a sticky note, I place it directly in front of my at my desk, or even stick it onto my computer monitor.  This way, it HAUNTS me.  I can’t stop thinking (or looking) at it.  I must accomplish the task.  It is easier to forgot about the information when it is typed into a note on the computer and not physically in front of you anymore.  This way, you can’t escape the job that’s in front of you.
2.     Have more than one calendar. Can’t decide on the cutest calendar?  BUY TWO!  As you have already found out, I am a collector of calendars, agendas, and all kinds of cute paper products.  One thing I have found very helpful for me in my life as an administrator is to have a copy of my calendar at home and at work.  I have a calendar above my desk at work, and above my desk at home.  This helps me continually remember what I have going on, and also aids in not over-booking or over-stretching my time and energy.  So go ahead—buy them both!
3.     Writing helps remember.  It’s a proven fact that hand writing information helps people remember the material better.  For me especially, when I write something, I remember it a thousand times better than when I type it.  Try writing down important tasks; you won’t be able to forget them!    
4.     Did I mention that they are so cute?
5.     Last but not least—they help you feel accomplished.  At the end of the day when I am packing up my things to go home, I check over my post it notes.  If I got the task on the note done, I pull it off and throw it away.  A good work day consists of me throwing away about 4-5 different post it notes, and coming into a fresh desk the next morning. 


Don’t get me wrong—I still do everything electronically, too (mostly because my boss makes me).  I find that having paper products at my desks is best, and have the electronic information on my computer/phone for when I am on the go and not at my desk.  There are benefits to have things so accessible when I am on the go.  What about you?  How have office paper products benefited you and contributed to your professional success?

No comments:

Post a Comment