Wednesday, May 11, 2016

 Single & Serving

Valentine’s Day 2015.  Senior year of college.  Almost all of my best friends were in serious relationships.  Growing up, Valentine’s Day was never a big deal in my house.  My parents never bought each other gifts or went to fancy dinners on this “holiday.”  My friends, however, were a different story.  They all had elaborate plans with their perfect boyfriends and were lavished with wonderful gifts.  I was beyond excited for my friends—they deserved to be treated this way, and I was happy for them.  I can’t lie by saying I didn’t feel like quite the loser, though.

Me and my two other single friends in college had decided while all of our friends were on their nice dates on Valentine’s Day, we would go out as the single ladies and have a girls night.  We were going to dress up, go downtown, have a great time.  A few hours before we were supposed to go, my friend Alissa called me.  She went on to say that she and my other single friend had decided to babysit a couple’s kids so they could go out together for Valentine’s Day.  I remember thinking how crazy my friends were.  They want to BABYSIT on the night we are supposed to go out and have fun?  And for free?!?

It ended up being a great night.  We took the boys to chuck-e-cheese, bought them ice cream, and served their family tremendously.  The parents were so grateful for us spending our night with them so they could go on a special date.  The night was two-fold.  While it was beneficial to them, it was beneficial to me as well.  I realized that it was stupid for me to have a pity party for myself on just another normal day.

When we were serving this family together, we weren’t focused on ourselves, and what we don’t have—whether that’s a boyfriend, a new car, nice clothes, a great job, etc. We simply were not thinking of ourselves.  We were thinking of others.  One thing I have realized tremendously over the last year is that I will not always have this time of life.  I will not always be able to give my time serving families, couples, and friends within the church and my community.  However, I am able to do that now.  Through serving them, I also think less of myself and what I may or may not be missing out on. 

Sad about your current season of life?  Filled with discontentment?  Wishing for things you don’t have?  Try serving somewhere—whether it’s a family, in the church, whatever. 

How many of you are currently facing discontentment?  How and where are you serving in the midst of it?  Comment below!


No comments:

Post a Comment